When I first got a hold of this recipe, I halved it because I thought it would be too much. Well, I was wrong. I don't think I could ever have too much of this stuff haha. Regardless, the recipe I've given is the halved version, just so I can't be blamed from some spike in obesity or diabetes diagnosis rates =P.
And NEVER eat it when your not concentrating, because soon enough your hand will just automatically be shoving this stuff in your mouth without knowing it, and soon enough you'll look back at the tray, (because you were that addicted to it you didn't even bother transferring it to a container and ate it straight off the tray you baked it on), and there won't be much left.....trust me, personal experience =P.
This definitely tastes best once it's out of the oven and has cooled down and has solidified (I shoved mine in the freezer to speed it up - as usual =P). So sweet and crunchy! And it's so easy! However when it comes to the part where you have to pour the caramel over the popcorn and mix it around, it can get a bit messy and if your not quick it can stick to the sides of the bowl or not even mix through properly or evenly over the popcorn. So make sure you get a huge bowl, rub a bit of butter or oil in it so the caramel doesn't stick too much, and mix real quickly - maybe get someone with a bit of arm strength to do it =P. Doesn't matter if you end up breaking the popcorn and smooshing it up a bit, that's gonna happen inevitably.
If you think the chunks of popcorn look too big when you spread them onto the tray and when you take them out of the oven, don't worry because you can break them up by hand anyways to your desired size. They do stick together quite alot, but all good =)
Hopefully you don't get as addicted as I have. But this truly is so good!
Adapted from All Recipes
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup glucose syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
10 cups popped popcorn (1 bag microwave popcorn)
1. Preheat oven to 120C (250F). Place popcorn in a very large bowl.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring 4 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.
4. Place in two large shallow baking dishes and bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour.
5. Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces.
|My brother pinching some =P|