And so, again, I am compelled to do a bit of research. There are SO MANY copycat recipes out there for famous food items such as Krispy Kreme doughnuts and KFC, even a Big Mac (which you would think would be simple enough =P). I also happened to come across one for the Butter Toffee Cookies! However, it's an American recipe, and just by looking at it i could tell these cookies are not the same ones they have in Oz. But I decided to use it anyways because it seemed like the only one close to what I was looking for. I just tweaked it a bit based on the countless times I've had these cookies.
Ok, so what resulted wasn't bad, it wasn't spectacular either. It was just average. Just meh. So, I'll be trying this again, I have some ideas in mind that might make them a bit more Mrs Field's like. But for now, I guess both my wallet and my waistline will be rescued =P. So I'm not sure if this fail attempt was a good thing or a bad thing haha.
Mrs Field's Butter Toffee Cookies
Adapted from Top 330 Secret Restaurant Recipes
2 & 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda (bi-carb)
1/4 tsp salt
1 & 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup butter (softened)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup butterscotch toffee bits (chopped up Werthers Originals will do - I used a cheap brand and it wasn't so great....always go for good quality! ALWAYS!!!!)
1. Preheat oven to 150C (300F). Combine flour, baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
2. Beat brown sugar and butter with electric mixer to form a grainy paste, scrape sides of bowl down. Add eggs and vanilla, beat until pale an creamy in colour.
3. Add flour mixture, pecans and toffee bits into the egg mixture and mix till just combined.
4. Drop rounded tablespoons full of the mixture on baking trays lined with baking paper, about 1 inch apart. Bake for 25-30 mins (until edges begin to brown).
5. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Definitely give it a go and see if you get a better result than I did, you may actually like them this way =). xx