Hi guys! I had another great weekend, catching up with friends and just chillin. Hopefully I can get some posts up on what we got up to, once I can get my hands on some decent photos. There are still some posts from a while ago that i need to put up! But yes, I will get to those hopefuly sometime this week =).
This week I have a break from work placement! Great time to chillax and just catch up on life. Today I did my brother a favour and made him this ice cream he had requested. Well, i attempted to make it, but I fail at watching milk boil apparently and it all just went blergh. Hopefully I can give it another go and post it up since it's a really interesting one! Anyways, as a result i had all these egg whites left over. I struggle to find ways to make use of them when i make ice cream. I normally just make meringues but there's only so many of those you can make and subsequently eat. So I did a bit of research and found a recipe for Chocolate Coconut Macaroons. Omg so nice! AND easy! Just like little clouds of chocolate, and the mixture is so additive you'd be lucky to be putting anything in the oven in the first place when you make these.
Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
Adapted from Joy of Baking
115g dark chocolate
3 large egg whites
1/4 cup cocoa
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 & 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 165C (325F). Melt chocolate in heatproof bowl in microwave (about 1-1.5 minutes).
2. Whisk egg whites, cocoa, sugar, salt and vanilla until combined.
3. Stir in melted chocolate + coconut. Place in freezer for 15 minutes to firm the mixture up.
4. Place tablespoons full of the mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking paper (about an inch apart from each other)
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the macaroons look shiny.
6. Take them out of the oven, transfer to wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes