I've also never had shortbread before, which is supposed to be similar in texture to these in terms of the shortness of the dough and the melt-in-your-mouth property. Well, actually, I'm sure I might have come across it once or twice but I probably didn't realise it. Seriously, what's wrong with me.
So after finding millions of recipes for what is clearly a popular and well-known biscuit, I had trouble selecting one out of the lot. But I got there, eventually. =).
Improved photography skills? Not really.
Melting Moments (Yo-yo Biscuits)
Adapted from Taste
3/4 cup (115g) plain flour
1/4 cup (45g) icing sugar
1/3 cup (50g) custard powder
60g butter, softened
2/3 cup (110g) icing sugar
1 tbsp custard powder
2 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tbsp lemon juice (I omitted this because I thought the rind added enough of a lemony taste)
1. Preheat oven to 160C (320F). Line oven tray(s) with baking paper.
2. Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy
3. Add the flour and custard powder and use a wooden spoon to combine. You may find it won't come together, but as long as it resembles fine bread crumbs it should be fine.
4. Use your hands to roll teaspoonfuls of the dough into balls. Place them 3cm apart on the trays. Use a fork to gently flatten them so they don't crack while baking (mine cracked a bit while pressing them with the fork....)
5. Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until just cooked through. Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
7. Spread the icing over the flat side of half the biscuits and sandwich together with the other halves.
I personally would have preferred passionfruit icing, which is made by adding the strained pulp of one passionfruit and 1 tbs of passionfruit juice instead of the lemon rind and juice.
It was a nice recipe, but I rekon I could find a better one (EDIT!! I DID FIND ONE!)....the ones from Crumbs (haha that rhymed!) where a bit more melt-in-your-mouth like. But nevertheless these were nice =D. And its good the recipe only yielded like 10 because they are pretty heavy on the stomach...
See you later =) xx